Eyelash Extensions: Who, What, When, Where, How? Everything You Need To Know Before Your First Lash Appointment
What are they?
Who should get them?
What does the appointment involve?
When should I get them done?
Where should I go?
How much do they cost?
How long do they last?
What should I do before my appointment?
What should I do after my appointment?
When trying a new beauty treatment, these kinds of questions come to mind. That’s why we compiled this handy guide with everything you need to know about eyelash extensions.
What are eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions are a beauty treatment used to enhance your natural lashes. Lash extensions are usually made from mink, silk or synthetic material and are glued to each of your natural lashes to create darker, fuller, longer and thicker lashes. Lash extensions usually last 4-6 weeks, depending on pre and post-treatment care. There are three main types of lash extensions:
- Classic eyelash extensions 👉 A single lash extension is glued to each natural lash.
- Volume eyelash extensions 👉 A fan of lashes is glued to each natural lash.
- Hybrid eyelash extensions 👉 A combination of classic and volume lashes are glued to your natural lashes.
The treatment is pain-free, and the results are stunning! Who should get eyelash extensions?
- Anyone who wants longer, thicker lashes.
- Anyone who wants to enhance the look of their natural lashes.
Lash extensions are fully customisable, so depending on your desired result, you can opt for a natural finish or a dramatic look. Always chat to your lash tech about their recommendations based on your desired outcome and your existing lashes. Your lash tech will always prioritise your natural lash health, and it’s important to trust their advice.
What does the appointment involve?
The appointment itself can take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours. When you arrive, your therapist will take you through a detailed consultation. At this stage, your therapist will find out what look you would like to achieve, recommend what lashes they think will work best, and ensure there aren’t any contraindications to the lash service.
Then comes the fun part! Your therapist will ask you to lay on a comfortable beauty bed, and after a bit of prep (cleansing and placement of lash pads), it will be time to close your eyes and relax. Before you know it, you’ll open your eyes to a beautiful set of lash extensions.
Remember to ask your lash tech about aftercare. How you look after your lashes dramatically affects how long your lashes will last. Always ask for aftercare advice and follow it as best you can. When should I get eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions are an excellent treatment for a special event or holiday. You’ll feel extra confident and done up with minimal makeup. In saying that, you don’t need a special occasion to justify getting your lashes done. Eyelash extensions are a fabulous treatment to have done for day-to-day life.
Sleeping in for an extra 10 minutes before work because all you need is a little mineral makeup to look polished? Yes please!
Where should I get eyelash extensions?
Always go to a qualified professional for your lash extensions. The last thing you want to do is risk damaging your natural lash or end up with an infection due to poor hygiene. When in doubt, look at the business’s Instagram and ensure they have great examples of their own work. Here at Brazilian Beauty, we have a team of lash and brow specialists ready to take on all your eyelash extension needs. Check out our eyelash extension treatments here. How much do eyelash extensions cost?
Eyelash extensions can range from $99 - $350 depending on the style and look you are trying to achieve. A great way to keep the cost of your lash extensions down is to sign up for a membership and keep up to date with regular refills.
Refill appointments usually take around 30 minutes and therefore cost less. Plus! You get to keep your lashes looking flawless all the time.
Check out Brazilian Beauty’s eyelash extension membership options here.
Brazilian Beauty is currently running a promotion on lash extensions. Check it out here. (Offer ends 31/08/2022)
How long do eyelash extensions last?
It all comes down to how you take care of your lash extensions. With great aftercare, your lashes should last 4-6 weeks (scroll down to find out more about aftercare). Don’t stress if you wake up to a few lashes on your pillow each morning - it’s totally normal.
Book in for regular refills (every 2 weeks), and you’ll never have to bare your natural lashes again! What should I do before my eyelash extensions appointment?
- In the lead-up to your lash extension appointment, use a keratin product on your lashes to ensure they are in excellent health. Check-in with your lash specialist to see what they recommend.
- Cleanse your skin! Always come makeup-free to your appointment.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Tie your hair up high or leave it out. Avoid styles like claw clips - you don’t want the clip digging into your scalp while you’re trying to lay back and relax.
- If you wear contact lenses, take them out at least 24 hours before your appointment, as they may cause irritation and redness during the application of your extensions.
- Skip caffeine! You’ll be lying still for over an hour with your eyes closed. It’s the perfect time to take a nap if you ask me.
- Go to the bathroom. Trust me. You don’t want to be busting for the toilet halfway through your appointment.
- Have an idea of the results you would like to achieve. If you have photos, bring them! But of course, always be open to your lash tech’s recommendations.
- Be aware of allergies. If you can, pop into the salon/clinic a few days before your appointment and ask one of the therapists to patch test the lash bonder on your arm.
- Always ask for aftercare advice from your lash technician.
- Avoid water for 24 - 48 hours. The lash bonder needs time to set.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes. Excessive rubbing, tugging or pulling will make your lashes fall out quicker.
- Use a lash wand to brush your lashes into place at least twice a day. Your lash tech will usually give you a wand to take home.
- Use a lash cleanser - this is really important for retention!
- Use a lash sealant (optional).
- Avoid mascara. You won’t need it! It will only be difficult to remove and lead to your lashes falling out quicker.
- Keep up to date with fortnightly refills.
- Enjoy your beautiful, glamorous, luscious lashes!
And that’s it! Not so scary, right? My favourite thing about eyelash extensions is how customisable they are. Whether you want big, bold lashes or subtle, natural-looking lashes - there’s something for everyone. Plus, they’re so convenient - halve the time you spend on your makeup? Sign me up!
If you’re ready to give eyelash extensions a try, click here.