Your Guide to Summer Skin
The summer months are definitely upon us. The weather is warming up and the days are longer, placing us all at risk of increased sun exposure. If nothing else, there are a few really important things you can do this summer to keep your skin in the best condition possible.
- Use sun screen! The most important step you can take to preserve the integrity of your skin is to ensure you are always protected by sun screen. UV rays are a known carcinogen, so reducing your direct sun exposure will go some way towards reducing your chances of developing skin cancer. Use sunscreen at all times. Most people get the majority of their sun exposure incidentally, so make sure you are always covered up. Opt for cosmetics with an SPF, such as ASI’s Mineral Foundation (SPF 20+).
- Protect your lips Lips take a beating during the summer. Use a good lip balm, preferably with an SPF. Apply it regularly and hopefully your lips will stay nice and healthy!
- Moisturise Don’t let your skin dry out! The combination of hot, long days and increased sun exposure will leach the moisture away from your skin. Apply a moisturiser regularly to avoid dry, flaky skin and the development of fine lines. Go for a moisturiser which also has an SPF, such as ASI’s All Day Hydration.
- Cold showers Cold showers are a must during the summer. We all love a nice hot shower, but in warmer months this can wreak havoc on your skin. Turn the temperature down to avoid dehydrating your skin. A cold shower can also help clear the skin more effectively if you’ve worked up a sweat, and also help you to cool off!
- Clothing Choose your clothing carefully. If you’re going to be out in the sun, opt for something that covers your shoulders and is made of decent material. A wide brim hat can be a great option for days out. If you take great care of your skin this summer you’ll thank yourself later. Make an investment in your skin now to avoid complications such as skin cancer and premature aging in the future.