Micro-Needling And Dermal Rolling
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is a cosmetic procedure that uses small punctures made by needles (and your body's response to them) to treat various skin concerns. It's minimally invasive and has seen use to great effect in the minimisation of skin imperfections like acne scars and stretch marks. Those who are in good health and are grappling with skin concerns that home treatments haven't benefited may see fantastic results from micro needling.
The Benefits of Microneedling
Microneedling offers recipients a host of benefits. These include:
- Reducing fine and deep wrinkles: Microneedling stimulates the growth of collagen and elastin in your body; these two things are the keys to unlocking healthy, vibrant, and youthful looking skin. New skin cells are triggered to be generated when an injection is performed and even short sessions can reduce crow's feet, smile lines, and forehead wrinkles.
- Repairing visible scars: Most of our acne-scarred patients reported a marked improvement in their acne scars after undergoing microneedling. Microneedling is a better-tolerated option for those looking to reduce scarring and has fewer side effects than other treatment avenues. It should be noted, however, that acne scarring oftentimes requires more intense treatments and longer needles to get the job done; for this reason, going to a professional therapist that offers in-clinic treatment is recommended.
- Reversing sun damage and pigmentation: Collagen is essential to reducing the appearance of sun damage and pigmentation. The collagen growth that's stimulated with microneedling results in exceptional reversals of sun damage and discolouration.
- Shrinking pores: The collagen released as a result of microneedling helps your pores look significantly smaller than they do on their own. The collagen allows your pores to plump, meaning they look shrunken (or in some cases invisible).
How Derma-roller Treatment Works
Derma-rollers are small tools that contain hundreds of micro-needles. These needles create small injuries on your skin, which promotes rapid collagen and elastin production in those areas to repair the injuries. This rush of collagen and elastin leaves your complexion tighter and your skin plumper than before a treatment.
The Benefits of Derma-roller Treatment
- Boosts face serum absorption: When derma-rolling is used in conjunction with daily skincare products, it can boost the absorption of the ingredients in these products by up to 90%.
- Revitalises loose and thinning skin: Collagen and elastin are able to soften and blur the physical signs of ageing that appear on our skin; many of us experience a loss of tightness and elasticity in our skin as we age, and derma-rolling can help bring in the chemicals needed to reverse some of that damage.
- Encourages effective skin cell turnover: The top layer of your skin is disrupted in the process of derma-rolling; intense enough treatments may even allow this layer of skin to shed completely. Either way, your skin is kicked into overdrive and works hand over fist to replace skin cells once you've derma-rolled.
Risks to Microneedling and Derma-rolling
- Infection: It's essential not to derma-roll over active acne; avoiding areas with blemishes while microneedling can lower your chances of infection, but it's oftentimes safer to wait until pimples are gone before you carry out this treatment.
- Negative skin reactions: Those with exceptionally sensitive skin or who suffer from conditions such as rosacea or eczema are likely better off either taking a pass on derma-rolling or leaving it up to a professional. If your skin is inflamed or irritated, you probably don't want to be running hundreds of needles over it.
Microneedling and derma-rolling offer those willing to undergo the treatment a host of benefits, but undergoing this procedure without help or advice from a professional therapist can involve some risks. It's important to prepare your skin correctly for this Advanced Skin Treatment. We recommend speaking to your professional Skin Therapist about what's right for you. Contact us today to find out more about how mmicro needlingand derma-rolling can change the way you look and feel.
- Different reactions to products: Because microneedling allows your body to soak in and utilise so much more of your skincare products, it's entirely possible that you'll react to ingredients in these products that you never have before.